Dubai, UAE – The Emirates Group, known for its commitment to aviation innovation, has introduced the Innovation Majlis, an innovative platform that was inaugurated by H.H. Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum, Chairman & Chief Executive of Emirates Airline & Group, alongside other senior leaders at the Dubai headquarters.
The Innovation Majlis serves as a catalyst for extensive research and development activities and facilitates the exchange of cutting-edge ideas. It showcases state-of-the-art technologies such as robotics, hyper-reality, holograms, and 3D printers, creating an environment that encourages collaboration and the co-creation of proof-of-concepts that will benefit customers, communities, and the aviation industry as a whole.
In addition to exploring advanced technologies, the Innovation Majlis will focus on forging partnerships with industry leaders and universities, implementing sustainable initiatives, and investigating alternative energy sources. These drivers will further propel the Emirates Group’s commitment to innovation.
H.H. Sheikh Ahmed expressed, “The Emirates Group has always been a pioneer in the aviation industry, and innovation is deeply ingrained in our core values, culture, and mindset. The Innovation Majlis, equipped with cutting-edge tools and technologies, empowers our employees to explore new frontiers, discover innovative solutions, and shape the future of the aviation industry. It brings together our partners, top tech companies, and entities under one roof to address the key challenges impacting our industry today.”
In its initial phase, the Innovation Majlis will feature various groundbreaking technologies, including:
- Autonomous mobile manipulator: Developed by Dubai Future Labs, this innovation facilitates order deliveries and performs tasks such as picking and placing objects from shelves, bins, and table-tops.
- AI-enabled wearable glasses for AR experiences: These glasses revolutionize the way we perceive and interact with other people, products, or services, enhancing augmented reality (AR) experiences.
- Haptic gloves for natural XR interactions: These gloves enable touch interactions in virtual reality (VR), allowing users to feel the weight, vibrations, and resistance of virtual objects.
- 3D holographic display with generative AI: This technology enhances the interaction with digital signage, providing advanced conversational capabilities through natural language processing.
- Automatic wireless charging: Representing the future of device charging, this technology allows for autonomous charging from a distance using infrared technology.
- 3D printing solutions: The Innovation Majlis explores next-generation printers capable of handling a wider range of materials, thus enabling additive manufacturing in new areas.
- Optimized videoconferencing: An all-in-one device with advanced sensor and environment optimization technology designed to enhance video communication experiences.
- Next-generation water filtration: A reverse osmosis and carbon filtration purification system that transforms tap water into mineralized water.
The Emirates Group has a rich history of spearheading innovation within the aviation industry. The introduction of the Innovation Majlis follows recent initiatives such as the launch of Sara, the world’s first check-in robot assistant, and the successful inaugural edition of ForsaTEK, an annual event that brings together startup programs, prominent tech and industry partners, and key players in the ecosystem.
To further advance aviation innovation, the Emirates Group has also forged a significant partnership with the Dubai Future Foundation to establish the Emirates Centre of Excellence for Aviation Robotics (ECEAR). An investment of US$200 million has been allocated by Emirates to finance research and development projects aimed at mitigating the environmental impact of fossil fuels in commercial aviation.